Monday, November 19, 2007

Just Smoke.

He slides the door to the porch open, and follows her lead out. The two sit on the brick ledge, her tucked away with her back to him, between his legs. He wraps them both in the cranberry velour blanket, carefully covering her exposed toe. She giggles as she lights her cigarette and attempts to blow away from his face.
The smoke rose from her lit cigarette, dancing eloquently like a ballerina into the cold Carolina night sky. The grayed ballerina pirouetting upwards, and vanishes, as smoke does. The two sit, anonymously silhouetted by the street lights, and nuzzled like two puzzle pieces. She takes another hit from her cigarette and sighs. The smoke finds it's way to his nose quickly and warms him.
"I don't even know what to do right now," she states.
"What do you mean?" he says.
"About moving, I don't know, I think I'm going to take about 6 months off of school to really establish residency and maybe get a job or something there first."
"Eh, I understand that, makes sense," he shrugs.
"I don't know, it's just scary, Boulder is so far from here."
"Well," he sighs, "don't move."
"I have to, I've already told my cousin that I would and I want to, it's just difficult." she responds.
He shakes as a cold breeze grazes his exposed feet, lowers his chin over her shoulder and into the blanket. His eyes close and he takes a deep breath, he lifts his head and continues silently watching the swaying leaves and parked cars. He tucks his arms over her knees and slightly squeezes.
"This is just hard," she says as she blows out another breath of smoke.
He lets out another packed sigh instead of everything he's thinking.
"Well, just enjoy it here while you can" he whispers into her ear on accident; she twitches her head away.
Blinds crack open from facing windows, watching each slight movement of the silhouette. She tosses her cigarette and it lands with a splash of orange ashes. The smell of smoke dissipates.
"I really need to go get some coffee so that I can finish this paper," she says.
"Awh, no you don't, just sit here a bit longer" he asks.
"I can't, I really need to go get some coffee," she informs as he softly kisses her cheek. She extends her legs and stands up and he follows her back through the sliding door. She walks briskly out of sight and into her room but quickly returns with a hooded sweatshirt on.
"Okay, I guess I'll see you tomorrow maybe" she says with furrowed brows.
"Hm, I guess," he repeats disappointedly.
She opens her arms and gives him a tight hug, he leans on the back of the couch and closes his eyes. He can smell the smoke attatched to both of their clothes. They ease back and then kiss slightly. He leans in again and again they kiss. His hands wander to the back of her head; hers rest on his shoulders. The kiss ends and he looks into her captivatingly blue eyes. He changes focus and lets his eyes wander away. She lets go of him and he follows her out.
"You going to leave the lights on?" he asks.
"Yeah, I'll just be gone for a little bit" she replies and closes the door behind them.
He walks out to her car with her and again she opens her arms and they hug tightly. His arms lay on her shoulders, and hers rest across his hips and cross at his lower back.
"I think we should spend more time together" he admits with visible breath gray and foggy.
"If I can find some time then we will, it's just hard" she answers.
He kisses her lips.
"See, that makes this hard" she says, "I'm moving across the country."
He looks away again, "I know," he says, "I just don't want to regret any time not spent with you."
They kiss again and hold. He raises his hands to her cheeks and holds her face in them.
"Okay, I really need to go get coffee" she interrupts.
"Okay," his breath still obvious.
She slides into her leather seats, hunts for keys then puts them in the ignition.
"So, just call me or something later okay?" she says.
"Okay, I will"
"Alright," she says as they kiss again.
"Coffee" she exclamates invisibly.
"Coffee" he smiles as he shuts her door.
He lowers his head grinning as he walks to his car, bare arms folded against the wind. He gets to his car and looks at the vacant spot where hers left. The smell of smoke tickles his nose and as soon as it comes, it vanishes.

No comments: